The average American consumes 2 to 3 pounds of sugar a week!! I know for me with my favorite mochas and soft drink daily I consume much more. Why should I care? I crave these little delightful things every day! Thinking to myself one won’t hurt a day, I see others drinking it all the time or if I stop drinking them I may not be able to go back to them. BUT on the other hand when I drink more water and less sugary drinks I feel tons better the next day. I have more energy, more drive and defiantly can think more clearly.
Our lovely little tastes so good friend sugar has side effects too. These can age you skin, depress your immune system, weight gain (not loss) and it is the drug of choice to fuel cancel cells into multiplication! In Dr. Nancy Appleton’s book “Lick The Sugar Habit” she lists 76 ways it can ruin your health. I’m not going to list all 76 but let me highlight the top 10 that stood out to me:
1. It feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, rectum, pancreas, lung, gallbladder and stomach.
2. It can cause autoimmune diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis.
3. It greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida yeast infections.
4. It can increase the size of your liver by making your liver cells divide and it can increase the amount of liver fat.
5. It can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney such as the formation of kidney stones.
6. It can increase your risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
7. It can cause hormonal imbalances such as: increasing estrogen in men, exacerbating PMS, and decreasing growth hormone.
8. Your body changes it into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.
9. It has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.
10. It upsets the mineral relationships in your body causing chromium and copper deficiencies and interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
IF this doesn’t make you think a little bit about what you put into your body and your child’s I don’t know what will. Kick up your cardio and weights and put your body back into balance. Try new things to help you cut back on your sugar intake. I was surprised how much I craved certain foods when I started to cut back. I had to play a mind game to decrease my consumption. Why our bodies crave certain foods will be the next blog topic. To help the general public understand which consumable products are high in sugar, the glycemic index was created.